Service Above Self
Building Responsible Youth
Our club banner, above, shows the puzzle pieces of young people we are helping to put together.
The Annual Scholarships we give to Minnetonka and Hopkins High School Students are examples of that commitment.
We are involved every year with international exchange students.
This year Adrien from Denmark. Last year Muthia from Indonesia, and the year before Perina from Peru. The year before Ernesto from Sicily came to Hopkins / Minnetonka and attended Hopkins High School.
The last two years we have sponsored two Outbound Hopkins High School Students. A girl, Tia, went to Japan and just returned is Meg who was in Columbia. We believe these international exchanges give our young people a broader understanding of the world and will teach them tolerance and respect for other cultures.
In Building Responsible Youth we believe our actions are our strongest endorsement. The Minnetonka Rotary has provided grants or funding for the following over the last twelve months. For more information see our Charitable Giving Page for other work The Minnetonka Rotary Foundation does.
1) We sponsored three youth to Camp Enterprise and gave them an understanding of how business enterprises work and how they can fit into the business world.
2) A Grant to Teens Alone / MoveFwd in support of our young people, who live on the fringe of trouble.
3) Grants were given to 2 youth run non profit organizations, ... Pinky Swear and Give a Goat. Both of these groups spoke at our rotary club and when a person 12 or 14 years old tells you they are gong to make a difference in the world and show you how they already are ... it is truly inspiring.
4) Funds were provided to the Salvage Project to help with music as a healing force in young peoples lives.
5) Supporting funds were provided to an Eagle Scout to complete his Eagle Project.
6) We also believe that our time should be well spent and with the beginning of the school year we again started our Youth Mentoring .... because these young people need support other than a parent to talk to. Sometimes youth need a guide and we try to provide that guidance.
Building Responsible Youth isn't just a goal it is our passion and we try to make sure that we live up to our commitment to the young people in our community.